I wanted to start the tradition of making Cooper’s birthday cakes each year, hopefully he will begin the tradition of actually eating them next year. 🙄 This kid eats everything…I was pretty shocked when he didn’t have any interest in a pile of colorful cake. I even made it with bananas! At least the rest of the family enjoyed it! And it was semi-healthy…I got the idea here and used a can of store bought frosting because I’m no good at making frosting!
- 2 eggs
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix oil, sugar and applesauce and stir in vanilla, eggs and mashed bananas.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes. I used a 9×13 glass dish and then after the cake was done baking I cut it into 2 circles using a small bowl. If you have 2-3 small cake pans it might be easier. But the scraps I had left after cutting the circles made yummy bite size cakes for the family. 😝
- Wait till cool before frosting and layer the cakes. Add sprinkles!